Friday, 28 November 2014

War poem


Just Twenty One

I read one more report today.
Another flag half-mast and gun
salute, coffin draped, bearers done.
Then hear the last post bugle play
as in my mind I see his grave
stone (father, brother, loving son)
for he who was just twenty one
in asymmetric Afghan frae.


Yet did he hear his comrades call
for medic, medivac and aid,
see the Chinook rotors whir - all
dust, din and dread – confusion reign?
Or did he even feel the fall
as daylight, dreams and future fade?


Well read the prose of marching men -
once Mons, Goose Green, El Alamain,
now Helmand, Lashkar Gah, Sangin -
The soldiers’ sacrifice the same


for Queen and Country. All shall yield
in time, to time, both old and young -
except upon the Battlefield
where he remains just twenty one

Robert Kiely

I got this poem from the website http://www.warpoetry.co.uk/Afghanistan_War_Poetry.html, it's a website with a database/compilation of modern Afghanistan War poetry written by British poets.

I chose this poem because it really puts into perspective how young the soldier are still, who fight (fought) and die in war even now. The tone in the poem highlights the sadness and the danger in a war that we sometimes forget we're still fighting.

No comments: