Saturday, 21 March 2015

Chinglish

The piece of Chinglish I've witnessed before is: "pork pork pork and pork".

I was with my mom in a cantonese restaurant and flipping through the bilingual menu when a certain dish caught my eye. It was a pork dish (obviously) and after reading the Chinese name and feeling more and more satisfied, I read the english title. It seemed like such a strange mistake to make, as even though the Chinese name itself included the word pork a few times, it seemed to only make sense that the owner himself or herself would be able to catch this mistake. That was what I found funny about it, the fact that even though the the owner may not have been able to read English, they surely must have noticed the strange repetition. However, the dish was quite delicious, so that evens out with the name mistake. All is well.

No comments: