1. Aloof
2. Saccharine
3. Psychedelic
1. Aloof
Not friendly or forthcoming; cool and distant.
I personally like this word because of the way it sounds. Starting from a brighter "a" sound, before dropping to a lower, but more pronounced "loof" sound, just evokes the image of something flopping down in a tired manner. The only thing about the funny pronunciation of the word is that it contrasts with the usually serious nature of the people associated with this word. Describing an aloof person as aloof just makes the person seem less serious.
2. Saccharine
Excessively sweet or sentimental.
Saccharine is another word that I like to use. I can be excessively sentimental, especially about people or past experiences, and I feel that this word is the best word to use in those situations. I also feel that saccharine is a nice word to use when someone is being fake, especially when writing about fictional characters, as it evokes this sense of uneasiness due to the excessive nature of their sentiment or sweetness.
3. Psychedelic
Relating to or denoting drugs (especially LSD) that produce hallucinations and apparent expansion of consciousness.
Originally, I was not aware that this word was related to hallucinatory substances, and upon finding out this morning, I was quite surprised. Now, I cringe at all of those Year 5 essays and poems I used this word in. Ignoring the drug connotation, I feel this word is a very nice word to describe something very colorful, as something about the word just evokes this feeling of bright colors that daze you and overwhelm you. I feel this is a nice word for sunsets, bright lights in the city, and other colorful lights.
No comments:
Post a Comment